My husband and I recently purchased three pieces of artwork at a Park West Gallery art auction aboard the Celebrity Constellation.Although we have a number of fine art works, we were not current with the latest prices of the art work we were considering purchasing.

We purchased two Peter Max pieces and one Yaacov Agam Agamograph for a total expenditure of $8800. We were told that the two Peter Max mixed media pieces were worth $7000 each and that the Agamograph was work $12,000 each. In addition to one of the pieces, that Agam, arriving in a different frame than we were promised, the appraisals for the artwork fall far short of what we were "told and sold" by the gallery director on the ship. The appraisals that we paid Park West Gallery for state the values at $3650 and $3750 for the two Peter Max mixed media pieces and $7200 for the Agamograph.

We feel that we were lied to and completely misled by the Park West Art Gallery staff.DO NOT PURCHASE ARTWORK AT A PARK WEST GALLERY AUCTION aboard ANY cruise ship.

This person wrote the review because of not as described of yaacov agam agamograph picture from Park West Gallery. Reviewer claimed that he or she lost $8800 and wants Park West Gallery to read this review and look into the issue (if any).

We collected other reviews about products and/or services offered by Park West Gallery for you to read. This information may help you with your purchase decision.

Had an Experience with Park West Gallery?

Comments

File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission at ftc.gov or call 202-326-2222

Park West Gallery at Sea charges are not acceptable based on a long list of practices common at "art auctions" on cruise ships:

--Violations of the Uniform Commercial Code

--Absence of Detailed Auction Catalogs

--Absence of Disclosure of Detailed Sales Terms and Conditions

--The art work offered for sale at auction is not consigned but wholly owned by the merchant, Park West Gallery --Alcohol Consumption is Encouraged --Merchandise Auctioned is Not Located Aboard Ship, No Opportunity to Inspect --Questionable licensing of independent contractor auctioneers --Certificates of authenticity and appraisals are prepared and signed by an agent of Park West Gallery for an additional fee.Since PWG has a pecuniary interest in all of the work it owns, it is in PWG's interest to inflate appraisals.

--High-Pressure Sales Techniques both during and after the "auction".

Buyers are given inaccurate information about the contract and are pressured at post-sale meetings to upgrade and purchase more items.--Prospective Buyers are Designated to Art Inventory prior to "auction" by sales staff and pressured to bid.