3.5
Style and Design

I have purchased several pieces over the last 40 years from Park West Gallery, Just purchased two pieces on board the Crown Princess. I have read most of the complaints and some parts are, in my opinion, justified and some are not. Here are some observations of mine:

1. Buy a piece because you love it, not as an investment. Very hard to predict what will increase in value and what will not.

2. The only pieces with a reasonable chance of going up in value are originals, not pieces that are part of a numbered edition.

3. Many, in not a majority of people can not afford or are not willing to pay the prices for a piece which is truly a "one of a kind original. In my opinion unless you are wealthy or a true conosseur (sp) you are best off purchasing a limited edition gliclee on canvas which has been hand embellished. An example of the price difference would be that I just purchased a limited edition gliclee on canvass which was hand embellished by Daniel Wall for $ 490 when Daniel Wall originals, according to Daniel Wall, start at $14,000 for the same size piece. I love my piece and for most of us, it actually looks like an original even though it is from an edition of 200.

4. Many people are complaining about being charged 15% for returning an art work under Park West policy of 40/40/40. Every bid card you are given contains this provision and you should be responsible for reading the bid card. The auctioneer mentions that there is a charge for returning a piece although often they don't give you the specific amount of the charge, but it is on the bid card.

5. Some people complained about the 12 week waiting period to receive their art, but you are advised of this by the auctioneer.

6. If you stick to buying what you love and forget about buying as an investment you will be much better off.

I liked: Artwork on board ships.

Comments